Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Eve

I have had a wonderful day spent in the kitchen trying new recipes and making a few Valentine gifts.  I tried Paula Deen's Red Beans and Rice Soup.  The recipe called for a pressure cooker but since I don't have one I cooked it on the stove in a traditional sauce pan.  I thought the recipe was very good.  It does have more broth than regular Red Beans and Rice. I also tried her Strawberry Jam Cake with Fresh Berry Frosting.  It is yummy!  I heard the other day that cupcakes will be replaced by layer cakes this year.  Layer cakes are the new trend.  I don't want cupcakes to go.......I love those delicious little  works of art.  I need someone to teach me the art of layer cakes.  Mine want to lean and shift :) Anyway these 2 recipes can be found in Cooking with Paula Deen- January/February 2012

This is an old project that I haven't done in awhile.  It uses an old fashion composition book ( the black and white ones that cost about $1.00).  I measure and cut scrapbook paper to fit the front, back and inside.  Then I apply the paper with double-stick tape, round the edges of the paper, add a bow and any embellishments that you like.  My daughter inherited the "make lists for everything" gene.  So this is for her to use for the new year to make her lists.

A good friend gave me a jar of Gingerbread play dough mix for Christmas, of course to make for my grand kidos.  I thought it was the greatest little gift.  So when I saw this one I thought it would work for Valentine's Day.  I think anything with peppermint is for V-Day, too.  I made the dough and wrapped it in cling wrap and put it inside this cute little pail I bought at Target.  I only bought one....wish I'd gotten more.

I added a bow, candy cane, heart shaped cookie cutter and the recipe.  The recipe and free labels came from here.  Great gift for little ones and it smells sooooo good.....(peppermint extract).

I also stitched another shirt for Sloaney.  This is a V-Day shirt.  I want to add either a fabric ruffle or ribbon ruffle to the hem of the shirt.  I just haven't decided which I will do.

I hope to find a pair of pink or black leggings and add a ruffle to them also.
I hope everyone has a safe and fun New Year's Eve.  I will be right here watching TV ( boring I know).

Happy 2012!

3 comments:

  1. Are you hand stitching the embroidery or are you using sewing machine? Where do you get the patterns for embroidery shapes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please email me and I'll answer your questions. Thanks!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like the recipe for playdough...sounds like a fun project for Lily next year!

    ReplyDelete