Monday, February 15, 2010

Recipe Monday-Poppy Seed Bread






This is an old recipe shared with me by a dear friend. Her son and mine were best buddies from 1st grade until about the 3rd. Unfortunately they had to move but I still love this recipe and make it quite often. She also gave me a Strawberry Bread recipe that I will have to share later. From the first time that I made it I changed the vanilla extract to lemon extract. I just prefer the taste of lemon and poppy seed together rather than the vanilla. Anyway you fix this bread it is delicious. It is also a great treat to share. I made 9 mini loaves and 6 mini bundt pans...just the right sizes to give to others. So enjoy!

Poppy Seed Bread
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. oil
1 tsp vanilla (or lemon)
1/4 c. poppy seed (have you priced them lately? $$)
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. evaporated milk
Beat eggs, add sugar and oil and mix well. Add vanilla (or lemon) and poppy seed. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together and add to above mixture alternating with evaporated milk. Bake in 2 greased loaf pans (or any combination sizes you like) at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes (check more often if using small pans). I added a glaze today. Mix about a cup of powdered, enough water to make it spreadable and a tsp. of lemon extract

No comments:

Post a Comment